Apply today for summer financial aid!
If you are planning on attending summer term, financial aid is available. To apply, follow these steps:
- Complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov, our school code is 003675.
- Submit the Summer Application by May 24, 2017, including the Additional Stafford Loan Request form if you are requesting Stafford Loan funds. (see page 3 on the application).
- If you have already been awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) and would like your Job Referral Notice (JRN) extended until June 30, 2017, please submit the Summer Application by April 1, 2017. If you are interested in an increase to your FWS award, submit a FWS Request form with the summer application. (Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the form).
Please read the following information carefully. If any of the information is unclear, please ask for clarification
- All students working on their first bachelor’s degree will be evaluated for grants first. Eligibility for federal grants depends upon your enrollment status as of May 24, 2017 (the last day to add classes for Summer Term 2017).
- For grant-eligible students, grants are awarded based on the anticipated enrollment indicated on the Summer Application and may be adjusted after the last day to add classes, which may result in an unpaid balance owing. If your anticipated enrollment changes after submission of this application, please notify the office in writing or via your UMail account.
- For Pell Grant recipients, if you have received your full Pell Grant award for both Fall and Spring Semesters (i.e. attended full time both terms), you will have used your full eligibility and will not have Pell Grant funds available for Summer Term. Likewise, if you have utilized the maximum amount of Stafford Loan eligibility, you will not have federal loan funds available to you for Summer Term. For questions about the funding you might qualify for, please check with our office.
- If Summer Term is your first term of enrollment, you will need to complete a Financial Aid Award Letter via the Campus Information Services (CIS) once your Summer Application has been processed. You will be notified via your UMail account when it has posted online.
- If you are requesting a Federal Stafford Loan and/or Federal PLUS loan for the first time, please be sure to complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov.
- You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits as an undergraduate; 5 as a graduate) to be eligible to receive Federal Stafford Loans and/or Federal Work-Study.
- Summer financial aid funds may not be available until after the first week of the semester. Students who have financial obligations prior to that time will need to make other arrangements to secure funds until their financial aid becomes available.
- If at any time you drop second session or miscellaneous courses for Summer Term after you have received your financial aid disbursement, please be aware that you may be billed if you did not begin attendance in those courses.
- You are responsible for payment of your tuition by the tuition deadline, regardless of the status of your financial aid file. For information on tuition payment options, visit: fbs.admin.utah.edu/income