You are here:

Summer Financial Aid

Summer financial aid

Apply today for summer financial aid!

Given the changing environment related to COVID-19 (coronavirus), we will be as flexible as possible with dates and deadlines. Please contact our office for the most up to date information.

If you are planning on attending summer term, financial aid may be available for you. To apply, follow these steps:

  • Complete the 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at, using school code 003675.
  • Complete the summer application.
  • If you have already been awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) and would like your Job Referral Notice (JRN) extended until June 30, 2020, please submit the Summer Application. If you are interested in an increase to your FWS award, please contact our Federal Work-Study Coordinator at to request the Federal Work-Study Request form.
  • Students with a merit scholarship offer and attending full-time (12 credit hours) may be able to use their scholarship for summer term. If you are interested in using your scholarship for summer, contact with the name of the scholarship, your name, and student ID (uNID).

Please read the following information carefully. If any of the information is unclear, please ask for clarification.

  • All students working on their first bachelor’s degree will be evaluated for grants first. Eligibility for federal grants depends upon your enrollment status.
  • Please be aware that processing of these applications can take time. You will be notified via UMail if there are any changes to your financial aid offer.
  • For grant-eligible students, grants are awarded based on the anticipated enrollment indicated on the Summer Application. These awards may be adjusted to match actual enrollment as of the last day to add classes / tuition deadline. If you enroll in fewer credits than indicated on the Summer Application, it may result in an unpaid balance owing on your tuition account.
  • For Pell Grant recipients, if you have received your full Pell Grant award for both Fall and Spring Semesters (i.e. attended full time both terms), you may be eligible to utilize additional Pell Grant funds as long as you are enrolled at least half-time.
  • For Federal Direct Loan recipients, if you have utilized the maximum amount of Federal Direct Loan eligibility, you will not have federal loan funds available to you for the Summer Term 2020. For questions about the funding you might qualify for, please check with our office.
  • If you are requesting a Federal Direct Unsubsidized or Subsidized Loan and/or Federal Direct PLUS loan for the first time, please be sure to complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at
  • You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits as an undergraduate; 5 as a graduate) to be eligible to receive Federal Direct Loans and/or Federal Work-Study.
  • Summer financial aid funds may not be available until after the first week of the semester. Students who have financial obligations prior to that time will need to make other arrangements to secure funds until their financial aid becomes available.
  • If at any time you drop second session or miscellaneous courses for Summer Term 2020 after you have received your financial aid disbursement, please be aware that you may be billed if you did not begin attendance in those courses.
  • You are responsible for payment of your tuition by the tuition deadline, regardless of the status of your financial aid file. For information on tuition payment options, visit:


Last Updated: 3/17/20