The student will receive a regular paycheck twice per month for the hours worked.
Hourly Rate Requirements
- At least the federal minimum wage
- The fair market wage consistent with the geographic region, the type of work performed, the employee’s proficiency, the position responsibilities, and experience required
- Determined by the employer and if needed, in consultation with The University of Utah Division of Human Resources
- May not be established or changed based on FWS status
Submission and Payment for Hours Worked
- Employers are prohibited from accepting voluntary services from any FWS employee
- The employing department must set-up a new FWS employee on a timely basis, to allow for the on time payment of the first paycheck
- The student must submit all hours worked in time to allow for timely payroll processing
- The student and supervisor must both approve and sign-off on the time sheet each pay period to certify that hours worked are accurately reported
- Students must be paid every pay period for all hours worked during that pay period
- Students must be paid on time, no later than 10 days after the pay period closes. For more information, please refer to Utah Code, Title 34, Chapter 28
- Any hours NOT submitted and paid on time may be considered ineligible wages and may result in the loss of the FWS award
Students should negotiate their FWS paychecks in a timely manner and are encouraged to apply for direct deposit. Paper paychecks that have become stale-dated (180 days old) may be re-classified as ineligible wages.
FWS earnings are taxed in the same manner as any other temporary student position. Income taxes are withheld according to the W-4. FICA taxes apply during periods of non-enrollment.
Affordable Care Act
The employer share of premiums will be paid on behalf of students who are eligible for and elect health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.
Unallowable Pay Types
FWS cannot fund any wages other than regular hourly pay. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Shift Differential
- Holiday Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Retroactive Pay
- Other Pay
Wages are not considered to be FWS wages if earned under the following conditions:
- No valid JRN
- In excess of the FWS award amount
- Before or after the authorized award period
- Student’s employee set-up and/or payroll accounting is incorrect
- During a period the student is not eligible for FWS funding
- After notification by the FWS Coordinator that the JRN has expired