Required Time Frames
Students have a limited amount of time in which to find a job. A position must be secured and a JRN issued within the following time frames:
- Fall and Fall/Spring Awards: September 30th
- Spring Awards: February 15th
Exception: Students will be allowed at least 45 days, from the offer date of the FWS
award, to obtain a JRN.
Awards will be cancelled if the JRN is not issued according to the above time frames.
Finding a Job
Students are responsible for finding their own on-campus employment. Students must have a FWS award in order to apply for a job classified as a work-study position.
Job postings should clearly indicate that the position is for eligible students with work-study funding. Jobs must meet the criteria for a work-study eligible position in order for the student to utilize their work-study award in that job.
Most employing departments are flexible with the student’s school schedule.
For more information on finding a job go to: Find a Work-Study Job.
Applications and Interviewing
Applications are made through The University of Utah Division of Human Resources and forwarded directly to the hiring department. The interviewing and hiring process are between the student and the hiring department. The FWS Coordinator will not handle any aspect of the hiring process.
Employers may not require the student to provide proof of a work-study award. Employers must verify work-study eligibility through the JRN process.
Eligible (must meet all criteria)
- .50 FTE or less (20 hours/week)
- Administered through The University of Utah Division of Human Resources
- A position that creates benefits eligibility at the University of Utah, including the Graduate Tuition Benefit Program. Health insurance benefits required under the Affordable Care Act will not make the position ineligible.
- A position that involves constructing, operating, or maintaining any part of a building used for religious worship or sectarian instruction
- A position that displaces regular employees or impairs existing service contracts
Work-study students are temporary, at will employees and employment may be terminated at any time.
Standard practices should be followed in regard to the termination of FWS employees. If you have questions about termination, please contact The University of Utah Division of Human Resources.