Skip to content

Class Withdrawals & Financial Aid Refunds

Withdrawals from Classes and Refunds

Students considering withdrawing from the University are urged first to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to determine how aid eligibility may be affected. Financial aid is disbursed based on the number of enrolled hours at the time of disbursement. Reducing your number of credit hours may require repayment of financial aid.

Information concerning tuition refunds is contained in the Class Schedule under “Refund Policies,” or available through the Income Accounting Office at (801) 581-7344.

Withdrawals will affect negatively a student’s satisfactory academic progress calculation. See the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAT) Policy for details.

Instructions on withdrawing from the University are obtainable from the Registrar’s Office at (801) 581-5808. Only the Registrar’s Office may officially withdraw a student from the University.

Return to Title IV Policy (RT4)

Regulations require a student’s eligibility for aid to be recalculated whenever a student withdraws from the University, either officially or unofficially. The recalculation determines the amount of aid a student has “earned,” by prorating according to the percent of the term completed before withdrawing.  For example, a student who withdraws, completing only 30 percent of the term, will have “earned” only thirty (30) percent of original aid eligibility. A student who completes more than sixty (60) percent of the term is considered to have “earned” one hundred percent of his or her aid eligibility.

The Financial Aid office will use the withdraw date recorded in the Registrar's office when a student officially withdraws from the University.  In the case of unofficial withdraws (i.e. dropped courses, EU grades and/or retroactive withdrawals), the office will contact the instructors to determine the last date of attendance in an academically related activity, such as participation in class, and assignment or a test.  

A repayment of aid is required when the actual amount of aid disbursed is greater than the amount earned, as determined by the recalculation. The responsibility for returning unearned aid is allocated between the University and the student. The institution returns the unearned portion of aid applied toward institutional costs (tuition, fees, on-campus room and board); the student returns the remainder. The Financial Aid Office will send to the student a notice listing the aid programs(s), and amount(s), for which a return of funds is required. Any amount to be returned to a loan program may be repaid according to the terms of the promissory note. Any amount to be returned to a grant program will be partially protected. If a student owes a grant repayment, the student will be considered over-awarded, and will be ineligible to receive future aid until the amount is fully repaid, or satisfactory repayment arrangements are made with the University or with the U.S. Department of Education. In addition, a student may be billed for any aid which was applied toward institutional costs, but which was returned by the institution to the Federal Government as a result of a student’s withdrawal. (The law assumes that financial aid disbursements are applied first toward institutional costs.)

A post withdrawal disbursement will be made if a student has eligibility for the Title IV funds, essentially earning more aid that was disbursed.  The student will be given fourteen days after withdrawing to submit any missing documents to the Financial Aid office.  The late disbursement provision is limited to students who completed less than sixty (60) percent of the term, completed the verification process and had been awarded aid or had a loan certified prior to the date of withdrawal.     

A school must return Title IV funds to the programs from which a student received aid during the semester as soon as possible but no later than 45 days after the date it determines the student withdrew.  Funds are to be returned in the following order, as applicable.

  • Unsubsidized Direct Loans
  • Subsidized Direct Loans
  • Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
  • TEACH Grants
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

Example 1:

Student receives Full Pell Grant and Full Sub/unsub as a junior/senior- $8964 in total aid received

Student is a resident paying full time tuition of $3038.34

If the student withdraws three weeks into the term, the amount of aid to be returned is $7233.95 (approx. 19% of the semester completed).

The student would actually be billed for $2451.94

Example 2:

Student receives Full Pell Grant and Full Sub/unsub as a junior/senior- $8964 in total aid received

Student is a resident paying full time tuition of $3038.34

If the student withdraws on the last day to withdraw for the term (approx. 48% of the semester completed), the amount of aid to be returned would be $4607.50

The student would actually be billed for $1561.71

Last Updated: 5/14/21