FWS employees must be paid on time for all hours worked.
Employers are prohibited from accepting voluntary services from any FWS employee.
Hourly Rate Requirements
- At least the federal minimum wage
- The fair market wage consistent with the geographic region, the type of work performed, the employee’s proficiency, the position responsibilities, and experience required
- Determined by the employer and if needed, in consultation with The University of Utah Division of Human Resources
- May not be established or changed based on FWS status
In general, the FWS program will fund 75% of the gross hourly wage. Employing departments will fund the following FWS employment costs:
- 25% of the gross hourly wage rate
- 100%, employer paid taxes: FICA, Worker’s Compensation, Unemployment Insurance
- 100%, employer paid benefits: Transportation Fee, Health Insurance provided under the Affordable Care Act.
- 100%, hourly wage paid for hours worked over the maximum allowed hours
FWS earnings are taxed in the same manner as any other temporary student position. Income taxes are withheld according to the W-4. FICA taxes apply during periods of non-enrollment.
Unallowable Pay Types
FWS cannot fund any wages other than regular hourly pay. Wages not paid as regular hourly pay will be charged 100% to the employing department. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Shift Differential
- Holiday Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Retroactive Pay
- Other Pay
Wages are not FWS wages if earned and/or paid under the following conditions:
- No valid JRN
- In excess of the FWS award amount
- Before or after the authorized award period
- Incorrect ePAF
- During a period the student is not eligible for FWS funding
- After notification by the FWS Coordinator that the JRN has expired